Spaceworks Tacoma is a joint initiative of the City of Tacoma and the Tacoma-Pierce County Chamber designed to activate empty storefronts and vacant space in Tacoma. Artists and creative entrepreneurs are carefully selected to temporarily occupy and bring life to unused spaces. Spaceworks started in July 2010 and we continue to partner with property owners to create a more dynamic, active city.
BENEFITS FOR PROPERTY OWNERS
- Support entrepreneurs that may evolve into long-term tenants – Tenants often express interest in staying in their spaces beyond their “Spaceworks term” (typically 6 months) as paying tenants. Entrepreneurs are provided small business training through Spaceworks’ Creative Enterprise Training Program.
- Introduce a new audience of visitors to your building and increase visibility.
- Offset costs like utilities and maintenance – Tenants pay utilities and often leave spaces cleaner and more functional than before.
- Deter vandalism and take advantage of more eyes watching out for the well-being of your property.
- Benefit from additional visibility through Spaceworks promotion, including our blog.
- Build goodwill with the community and neighboring property owners.
- Participate in a program with economic benefits for Tacoma.
- Partner with artists and entrepreneurs who are vested in creating a dynamic streetscape.
- Add to the positive media and attention paid to Tacoma as a result of this innovative project.
- Showcase the potential of your vacant space – Much like the practice of home staging, but for commercial real estate.
WE MAKE IT EASY FOR YOU! HERE’S HOW:
- Spaceworks provides oversight and management for the program, and all spaces are sub-leased through the Tacoma-Pierce County Chamber. This means that property owners have only one point of contact—the program is designed to be a turn-key process!
- The Tacoma-Pierce County Chamber holds general liability insurance on the space and the Creative Enterprise also acquires their own liability insurance.
- If you find a permanent tenant, Spaceworks participants are required to move out with a month’s notice
- Your “for lease” sign can stay up in the window so we do not compromise your ability to lease your space.
We need your support to make Spaceworks a success! For more information, including press, please contact Heather Joy, Spaceworks Manager at email@example.com or (253)682-1722.